Coaches Code of Conduct
We all have a responsibility to promote high standards of behavior in the game. One of the biggest issues within our soccer leagues is the behavior in and around the game. This includes the abuse of match officials and the unacceptable behavior of over competitive parents, spectators and coaches on the sideline. We ask our coaches to play their part and observe the US Soccer's Respect Code of Conduct in everything they do. Therefore we ask you to take the following pledge.
On and off the field, I will:
- Show respect to others involved in the game including match officials, opposition players, coaches, managers, officials and spectators.
- Adhere to the laws and spirit of the game.
- Promote Fair Play and high standards of behavior.
- Always respect the match official’s decision.
- Consistently display high standards of behavior and appearance.
- Never enter the field of play without the referee’s permission.
- Never engage in public criticism of the match officials.
- Never engage in, or tolerate, offensive, insulting or abusive language or behavior.
- Always seek ways of increasing professional development and continuing coaching education.
When working with players, I will:
- Place the well ‐ being, safety and enjoyment of each player above everything, including winning.
- Explain exactly what I expect of players and what they can expect from me.
- Ensure all parents/guardians of all players under the age of 18 understand these expectations.
- Never engage in or tolerate any form of bullying.
- Develop mutual trust and respect with every player to build their self ‐ esteem.
- Encourage each player to accept responsibility for their own behavior and performance.
- Encourage Captains to take a leadership role on the field in aiding the referee in maintaining control of the game.
- Ensure all activities I organize are appropriate for the players’ ability level, age and maturity.
- Co ‐ operate fully with others in soccer (e.g. officials, managers, parents) for each player’s best interests
I understand that if I do not follow the Code, any/all of the following actions may be taken by my club and or league:
- Required to meet with the club, league.
- Required to meet with a club committee.
- Monitoring by another club coach (?).
- Required to attend an MSYSA education course.
- Suspended by the club from attending matches.
- Suspended or fined by the league.
- Required to leave or be sacked by the club.